Are you a home buyer looking for the perfect place to settle down in North Carolina? NoDa, Charlotte is an amazing option to consider! Located just north of Uptown, NoDa is an eclectic area, and one of the best neighborhoods in Charlotte, NC – it really has so much to offer.
NoDa is a trendy and vibrant neighborhood in Charlotte that offers a diverse mix of art, music, food, and culture. The neighborhood is known for its thriving arts scene, with numerous galleries, theaters, and music venues showcasing the work of local artists and performers. Home to a variety of restaurants, cafes, and bars, serving up everything from gourmet cuisine to craft beer and cocktails.
The neighborhood also has a strong sense of community, with numerous events and festivals throughout the year. Plus, it’s only about 15 minutes away from the downtown Bank Of America Stadium and only a little further from some of Charlotte’s best attractions like Charlotte Motor Speedway and Carowinds Amusement Park. If you’re ready to explore everything NoDa has to offer, then keep on reading – you won’t want to miss out on all this incredible neighborhood has in store!
What is NoDa, Charlotte?
NoDa is a neighborhood located just north of Uptown in Charlotte, North Carolina. It’s known for its vibrant artistic and cultural atmosphere – there are plenty of things to do here, including close proximity to numerous art galleries, coffee shops, and restaurants in the area. You can also take your pick of live music venues, such as The Evening Muse, Neighborhood Theatre, and Petra’s Piano Bar which is only a short distance away.
The community tree-lined streets are filled with interesting shops and restaurants that reflect the diverse cultural influences of the area. Visitors looking to explore Charlotte should visit NoDa and discover why it’s rapidly growing into one of the most sought-after neighborhoods in town.
The History of NoDa and Why it Matters
Originally part of North Charlotte, NoDa began development in 1903 as an area dedicated to textile manufacturing, with worker’s residences situated along North Davidson Street. The area quickly grew in popularity among blue-collar workers, thanks to its easy access to the mills and other jobs available nearby. By the 1950’s the area had begun to decline due to the general decline of the textile industry, and by the 70’s all of the mills had been sold.
By the early 90s, the NoDa district had quickly developed into one of Charlotte’s most sought-after areas. It has since become known as an artistic epicenter with its numerous galleries, art shows, and museums. Today, NoDa stands as an eclectic neighborhood that still honors its historic roots while also embracing Charlotte’s vibrant culture and arts scene.
View this post on Instagram
Main Attractions You Can’t Miss in NoDa
NoDa is full of attractions to explore and enjoy. Be sure to check out some of these popular spots during your next visit:
- The NoDa Arts District: This area is home to numerous art galleries, live music spots, performance spaces, and museums – perfect for anyone looking to explore the local culture.
- NoDa Company Store: A great place to check out some locally made gifts and souvenirs. This store also hosts many workshops and events throughout the year!
Plenty of Amazing Local Coffee Shops
- Amelies French Bakery and Café: Enjoy a coffee or tea in this cozy café and get your daily dose of caffeine while relaxing with a good book.
- Smelly Cat Coffeehouse and Roastery: A great spot for brunch or lunch, served with freshly brewed coffee and yummy pastries.
- The Hobbyist: Pick up some coffee and grab one of their homemade pastries for a delicious snack. You can even come back in the evening for some beers and live music!
- Mac Tabby Cat Cafe: A fun spot that combines cats and coffee – plus, they serve up some delicious sandwiches, too!
- Summit Coffee: Enjoy a cup of freshly roasted coffee in this modern and stylish local café.
- Rosie’s Coffee and Wine Garden: If you’re looking for a different kind of coffee experience, then this is the place to be! Just a short distance from NoDa, they serve up specialty wines and cold brews alongside their signature pastries.
NoDa is an amazing area of Charlotte that has so much to offer. Its entertainment district is filled with culture, art, music, and history – all of which make it a great place to explore for anyone looking for an exciting new experience! Whether you’re just visiting or you’re a Charlotte resident, make sure to take the time to explore NoDa and all the unique attractions that this area has in store. You won’t regret it!
View this post on Instagram
Check Out NoDa’s Local Art Scene
NoDa is one of Charlotte’s most creative neighborhoods – it’s home to some truly incredible and unique art galleries, museums, and performance spaces. Whether you’re into photography, painting, sculpture, or any other kind of art form, there’s something here for everyone!
- The McColl Center for Art and Innovation: Located in the heart of Charlotte and just a short distance from NoDa, this center is an incubator for emerging and established artists. It’s a great place to explore, with classes and workshops open to all skill levels.
- NoDa Gallery Crawl: Held on the first Friday evening of each month, this event is one of Charlotte’s most popular art events – featuring the work of local artists in galleries and other venues throughout NoDa.
- The Light Factory: This gallery is dedicated to contemporary photography, film, and video art – offering classes, exhibitions, screenings, lectures, and more. It’s a great place to learn about the power of photographic imagery.
- Goodyear Arts: This collaborative space is home to a diverse range of art forms – from paintings and photography, to dance and theater. It’s an amazing place to explore the city’s creative side! NoDa isn’t just about its entertainment district – it’s also home to some truly incredible local art scenes that are worth exploring.
NoDa is an essential part of Charlotte’s cultural identity, and it makes for an amazing place to visit. With its vibrant culture and incredible attractions, it’s sure to provide you with an unforgettable experience.
View this post on Instagram
Don’t Forget about NoDa’s Delicious Cuisine
NoDa is home to some of the best restaurants in Charlotte – offering everything from classic comfort food to delicious international cuisine. From small cafes to multi-course meals, there’s something here for everyone. Here are a few of our favorite spots:
- The Goodyear House: This restaurant offers farm-to-table cuisine, specializing in locally sourced, handcrafted dishes. It’s a great place to enjoy a delicious meal and support local businesses in the area, plus it has one of the best patios in Charlotte!
- Haberdish: This popular restaurant serves up Southern-style favorites like crispy fried chicken and macaroni and cheese. It’s a great spot to grab a quick bite, or you can stay for the evening and have a full-course meal.
- Growlers Pourhouse: This craft beer bar has over 50 different kinds of craft beer on tap – perfect for sampling new flavors or just finding your favorite brew.
- Billy Jacks Shack: This local favorite serves up classic American dishes – like burgers and fries, sandwiches, and BBQ. It’s a great spot to grab a quick lunch or dinner!
- Cabo Fish Taco: This restaurant serves up amazing Mexican-style food – burritos, tacos, and the like. They also have an incredible selection of margaritas and craft beers to go along with your meal.
- Reigning Doughnuts: This unique doughnut shop is a great spot for a sweet treat after exploring NoDa! You can order directly from their window.
- The Artisan’s Palate: Offering a selection of wines, craft cocktails and shareable plates, The Artisan’s Palate also features a full art gallery where local artists’ work is displayed.
- Ever Andalo: This Italian restaurant is a great spot for dinner or a romantic evening out. They serve up classic Italian dishes, plus they have an extensive selection of wine and craft beer.
- Brooks’ Sandwich House: Located on the edge of NoDa, this spot serves up some of the best burgers and sandwiches in Charlotte.
- Benny Pennello’s Pizza: If you’re looking for some of the best pizza in town, look no further than Benny Pennello’s. Whether you just want a quick slice or one of their massive 28″ pizza creations, they’ve got something for all appetites!
If you still can’t find what you’re looking for, NoDa is also just a short distance from Optimist Hall – one of the largest food halls in Charlotte, where you’ll find a variety of restaurants and bars ready to satisfy your cravings. There’s also a new food hall, Urban District Market, opening soon in Villa Heights.
View this post on Instagram
Check Out The Local Breweries
NoDa is home to some of Charlotte’s best breweries – whether you’re looking for a light craft beer or something darker and heavier, there are lots of options here. Plus, many of these spots also host regular events like trivia nights and live music.
- NoDa Brewing: The OG of NoDa breweries, this spot has been around since 2011. They serve up a variety of craft beers, from light ales to rich stouts.
- Divine Barrel Brewing: This popular brewery is one of the best places in town to grab a craft beer. You can try their ever-changing selection of craft beer, or sign up for a tour to learn more about how they brew their amazing creations!
- Heist Brewery: Located just steps away from NoDa, Heist is a popular spot to grab a pint and relax with friends. They also specialize in sour beers, so be sure to try one of their unique offerings!
- Free Range Brewing: This brewery specializes in small-batch ales and lagers – all made with locally sourced ingredients. They also have a cozy taproom and outdoor patio, perfect for when the weather is nice.
- Birdsong Brewing: This popular brewery has a huge selection of craft beers to choose from – there’s something here for everyone! Plus, they often host live music events as well.
- Protagonist Beer: This nano-brewery is dedicated to the art of craft beer – they only produce small batches, ensuring each one is just as good as the last.
- Salud Beer Shop: This bottle shop has an incredible selection of craft beer from all over the country. They also host regular events, like beer tastings and educational courses.
- The Chamber By Wooden Robot: This brewery is a great spot to try something new – they specialize in IPAs, sours, and barrel-aged beers. They also have an outdoor patio and live music on the weekends.
View this post on Instagram
Plenty of Parks and Green Spaces
NoDa is surrounded by plenty of wonderful parks and green spaces, making it a great place to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city. Whether you’re looking for parks to enjoy a picnic with your friends, trails to bike or run on, outdoor yoga classes to find your zen, or even an outdoor concert venue featuring local bands – NoDa has something for everyone.
Romp through nearby Eastway Park or explore the grounds of The McGill Rose Garden with its 4-acre collection of over 500 varieties of roses. There’s also Cordelia Park, which offers a playground and walking trails. If you’re looking for something easier to access, you can visit Alexander Street Park, which is accessible from the Little Sugar Creek Greenway. There are so many opportunities right outside your doorstep. NoDa offers both family-fun gatherings and exciting adventures around every corner!
Schools in the NoDa Area
NoDa is close to some of the best schools in Charlotte, with highly-rated public and private institutions for students of all ages. Whether you’re looking for elementary schools or universities, there’s something here to fit every student’s needs.
- The University of North Carolina at Charlotte: Located roughly 15 minutes away from NoDa, this top-ranked university offers a wide range of degree programs and is home to over 30,000 students.
- North Carolina Academy of Art: This private art school is the perfect place for aspiring young artists, with classes and workshops in painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, graphic design, and more.
- Queens University of Charlotte: Located in the heart of Downtown Charlotte and less than 10 minutes from NoDa, this university offers a wide range of degree programs in arts, sciences, and business. With its beautiful campus and exciting student life, Queens is a great choice for any student.
Housing Options in NoDa
If you do decide to make NoDa your home, you’re sure to find something that fits your needs. Whether you’re looking for an apartment, a house, or even just a room in a shared living space – there are plenty of options in the area.
The property scene can change often, so if you’re looking to buy an existing home, you’ll need to check the current real estate listings. If you’re looking for an apartment, there are some great options available, including:
Alternatively, you also have the option to build a brand-new custom home from scratch. By using an established, reputable home builder like Copper Builders, you can create your dream home in your ideal neighborhood with our Build On Your Lot program. Whether you choose one of our thoughtfully designed floor plans or decide to go completely custom, there are plenty of new construction opportunities in NoDa.
All in all, NoDa is one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in Charlotte, and it offers a great escape from city life. From its rich history and edgy art scene to its delicious culinary options, craft beer, and outdoor recreation facilities, there’s plenty to explore here. Whether you’re looking for a place to hang out with friends or simply want a break from a hectic day, NoDa is sure to please.
Who knows, you may just find a new favorite neighborhood! With attractions and activities ranging from gastropubs and galleries to trails and parks, visitors are sure to have an excellent time exploring this buzzing area and discovering all that it has to offer. So what are you waiting for? Grab your friends (or go solo) and dive headfirst into the wonderful world of NoDa – you won’t regret it!
Frequently Asked Questions about NoDa, Charlotte
Still have some questions about NoDa? We’ve got a list of some common ones, with answers, ready for you.
Is NoDa a good neighborhood?
Yes, NoDa is a great neighborhood! It offers an array of activities and attractions, ranging from gastropubs and galleries to trails and parks. The local schools are highly rated, making it an ideal place for students of all ages. Additionally, there are plenty of housing options available – from apartments to houses or even custom-built homes. NoDa has something for everyone!
What is NoDa known for?
NoDa in Charlotte, NC is known for its vibrant culture, art scene, delicious culinary options, craft beer and outdoor recreation facilities. From gastropubs and galleries to trails and parks, there are plenty of attractions and activities to explore in NoDa. It’s also home to highly rated schools, making it an ideal place for students of all ages.
Is NoDa a safe neighborhood?
Yes, NoDa is a safe neighborhood! The area is patrolled by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department and is well-lit at night. Additionally, the local schools are highly rated and crime rates tend to be lower in this area.
What is the average home price in NoDa?
The median home price in NoDa in Charlotte, NC is around $538,000. This number may vary depending on the type of property and size of the home. Prices have been steadily increasing due to the high demand for homes in this area, as well as its proximity to many of Charlotte’s entertainment attractions and job opportunities.
Is NoDa a walkable neighborhood?
Yes, NoDa is a walkable neighborhood! It has sidewalks and pedestrian paths that link the area to local attractions and the city center. There are also plenty of public transit options in NoDa including easy access to the light rail system, making it easy to explore the entire Charlotte area. Additionally, there are many parks and green spaces scattered around NoDa, providing plenty of opportunities for enjoying walks outdoors.